Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Foraging


Foraging

The tide is low and red sands stretch
out to the oyster beds flushed fresh
by a stream meandering to the waves;
wild mussels cling to rocky footings of once tall cliffs
felled by storm surge and winter ice;
marooned upon the sand,
crabs hide from hungry gulls with sea-weed camouflage,
or side -wind from my footstep in the grassy shallows;
razor fish breathe salted air above their burrows
ever vigilant to dive at my approach;
barefoot, I dance the clam-shoe-shuffle,
feeling quahog cobbles buried in the sand;
caplin scatter at my shadow
and heron rise with frustrated caw.

The tide is flooding now and it’s a heavy catch to shoulder to
the shore, stooping for the balls beyond the final green;
soon the chowder will be thickening on the stove,
I recommend a pinch of curry powder!

Bryan D. Cook    Ottawa    November 13, 2012 

Context for "Foraging"
On my summer holidays on the South Shore of P.E.I., I forage for my supper from the shore at low tide. It is a great feeling to be going back to early human development as a littoral creature forced to the Africa's eastern shore by a combination of climate change and avoidance of open range predation.It is quite likely that on those shores innovation in the use of early tools evolved rapidly. The references to the balls and final green describe one of the many beautiful coastal  golf courses of P.E.I. and the rain of balls which overshoot the green and end up in the sea!





No comments:

Post a Comment