Monday, 18 March 2013

Winter Blahs


Winter Blahs
Last week
a drip metronomed my window sill ,
the driveway ice ridge thawed,
squirrels gnawed into the bluebird box and
cardinals sang territorial songs as the Pope departed.

Today
I walk the dog without my gloves,
an olfactory progression from stain to stain,  
puddles hide a pox of potholes,
I dodge the waves of grime brine.

A smart-phoned knot smokes pot
just beyond the high school gates
fucking this and fucking that habitually,
crowding out the sidewalk,
seeming bored, texting to belong,
shuffling through the rituals
of teenage conformity,
their daily litter of soda cans,
half-eaten pizza slices and
butt confetti;
yet they call me Sir and say
Tess is sooo cute a puppy,
despite her fifteen years.

I’m tired of winter:
allergic to the mold,
damp cold,
fearful that latest flu
has made the jump from beast to man,
resentful of income tax returns,
annoyed by the mail- box avalanche of spring sales;
“Target” has crossed the border: but
do I really need to buy?

Tomorrow
 I will book my escape to
Prince Edward Island’s shore,
to beach comb through the laze of summer;
I can smell the sea and
taste the chowder.

Bryan D. Cook   Ottawa, March 2013

Context For Winter Blahs
I attended a TREE Reading Series Seed Workshop where we were introduced by Gwynn Scheltema  to "playing with constraints".....the application of structure in the style of Oulipo practitioners. Such structures can follow quite complex mathematical series, but I chose a simple approach of expressing my feelings and experiences for last week, today and tomorrow.

Pope Benedict's Farewell


                                                          Northern Cardinal (Kevin Boulton)

No comments:

Post a Comment